Vel Amavasya Bhajji is a curry made during the harvesting season in villages of state Maharashtra and Karnataka. Bhajji is made in a special manner in Latur City which I am sharing with you.
Bhajji consists mainly of fresh vegetables when the harvesting begins. Farmers go to their farms and prepare this curry along with other food items and have their food celebrating the season. This season is also named Sankranti, Bhogi, Pongal in different parts of India.
It tastes yummy and goes good along with Bajra or Jowar Roti. Having different varieties of Peas and gram flour as ingredients this curry is rich in proteins.
Make this recipe following the steps I have shared and comment on how it tasted. Share with your friends too.
Bhajji Curry Vela Amavasya Special
- 3 Glass Water
- 100 Grams Green Tamarind
- 4 Serving Spoon Oil
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 8-10 Pieces Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Green Chilli Paste
- ½ Cup Chopped Carrot
- ½ Cup Green toor dal / Pigeon Pea
- ½ Cup Green Peas
- ½ Cup Groundnuts
- ½ Cup Green Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Bowl Chopped Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Bowl Chopped Spring Onions
- 2 tbsp Salt / As per taste
- ½ Cup Gram Flour
- 1 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Take 1 Glass Water and add Green Tamarind and boil it for 2-3 minutes so that the outer cover can be removed easily.
- Remove the Tamarind cover and mix well with hand so that the water gets the taste of Tamarind.
- Filter the water in a container using a strainer. The Tamarind water is now ready.
- Take a Pan and add Oil.
- When the oil gets heated add Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Curry leaves, Ginger garlic paste.
- Keep the flame medium and mix it.
- Add Green Chilli Paste, mix and let it heat until the colour changes.
- Add chopped carrot pieces, toor dal/pigeon pea, green peas, groundnut, and green chickpeas.
- Mix everything with medium flame and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Turmeric Powder, mix and let it heat for 1-2 minutes under medium flame.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves, keep mixing mildly until the fenugreek leaves become half size.
- Add chopped spring onion/Onion leaves and mix them.
- Add Green Tamarind Water and 1 Glass water.
- Heat until the water gets boiled, Add Salt and mix.
- Cover with lid until everything gets boiled. By the time lets make Gram flour paste.
- Take a bowl and add gram flour and make a paste from it using a small quantity of water and mixing them. remember that the paste should be smooth without and balls formation.
- Remove the lid of the bowl and see that all the vegetables are now completely boiled. Stir it and now we shall add the gram flour paste.
- Now while stirring add gram flour paste in small quantities so that everything gets mixed up well.
- Lower the flame and Mix everything.
- Cover the lid and let it get cooked for 8-10 Minutes. Keep mixing every 1-2 minutes so that nothing gets stuck at the bottom.
- The bajji curry is now ready. Add 1 cup chopped coriander leaves, Mix and cover the lid.
- Remove the bowl from the flame and let it get cooked in its steam for a few minutes.